5/18/09

Lauren Goes To College!



After reading Connie's post, I was inspired to blog about going off to college too! It's sort of the perfect thing to write about, I decided. At this time, school is coming to a rapid close. I only have four more "real" days of school left, and after that I will be completely done with high school. Forever. It's weird just thinking about it.

I'll be going to school 3000 miles away, in this big place called New York City. I've always thought San Francisco was a city, but when I recently flew over New York at night, I also flew over the most lights I'd ever seen in my life. Suddenly, San Francisco seemed as small as it actually is. New York is bigger, livelier, and totally different from everything that I'm used to. So, with all this change, I've compiled a mini-list of some things that are on my mind.

College things that worry me(In no particular order):
1) The weather: Yes, it can get really, really cold over there. At least for a California girl. I mean, 50 Degrees is bitterly cold to me. How am I supposed to handle 20? And snow? I wear sandals.

2) The hardcore art kids: I don't want to turn into an art snob who only makes friends with other art snobs! I'm not that kid who's always known what she's wanted to do when she grows up. I'm that kid who was like, "Hey, I like art. Maybe I should do something with that."

3) The horrible, horrible feeling of missing everything: I guess it hasn't really hit me yet, but I'm going to be leaving all of my friends and family in three months. Yeah, I know, sappy stuff goes here. But it really will be weird, and probably not in a good way.

College things that make me go "YAY!"(also in no particular order):
1) The roommate survey: As odd as it is, I've always been extremely excited for THE ROOMMATE SURVEY. The one where you answer a series of questions and get assigned to a roommate with similar answers to yours. It's kinda like a personality quiz, only you don't get to see the result until September.

2) The city off campus: When I visited New York just a couple months ago, I already discovered a couple neat places near my school that I'll be visiting very, very often. For a quick bite, Bleeker Street Pizza is pretty amazing, as is Saint's Alp's Tea House.

3) Meeting new people: While this could also be a scary part of college, it's also one of the most exciting. Right now, there are so many people I haven't met who Future Me will say that she can't imagine living without. It's knowing that a bunch of your best friends are across the country, and you are finally going to visit them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment